Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Yuck

So, there's this band call Yuck, and I love them. They're from London. They're young [at least younger than me]. They kick ass.

I listened to their album when it came out and was really impressed. I was also impressed that they recorded most of the album in their bedroom, except for drums. But the thing about Yuck that impresses me the most is that some of their best material isn't on that fantastic album. In my opinion, that is the trademark of a great band (cough Smashing Pumpkins cough); having B-sides that are stronger than your A-sides. On top of that their singer started a more subdued project called Yu(c)k, which later the name changed to Oupa. Most of the Yu(c)k/Oupa songs are keyboard based with harmonies from his younger sister. These minimalistic songs really show his talent as a songwriter, a rocker with heart. Probably the thing that enjoy the most about Yuck is the melodies. They're just so stinking catchy. And the guitars too, obviously. Of course I'm going to love a band that plays fuzz distorted Jazzmasters.

So here are my Top 5 Yuck song:


5. "Operation" - This was my first favorite track after listening to the album. I didn't know until I watched a live video that the other guitar player actually sings the song. Catchy and upbeat. A good song to bring you out of winter.

Live at SXSW
http://youtu.be/VSmlLV1A5ow?t=30m56s

Album track
http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif



4. "Automatic" - A selection from the Yu(c)k Weakend EP. Slow, sad, beautiful. What's not to love? "Don't assume I'm manual"

Yu(c)k - Automatic from Yuck on Vimeo.





3.* "Milkshake" - This one is number 3 with a bullet. What that means is that it's my new favourite Yuck song. They posted it a couple of weeks ago as the B-side to the Shook Down single. Up until that point, I couldn't imagine there being any more super good Yuck songs anytime soon. But once again, I was blown away.

Milkshake by Yuck



2. "Rubber" Nearly 8 minutes of slow-tempo, fuzzed out bliss. Only 2 chords are used for most of this song: B major and E Major. Except on the bridge, which briefly features the F# major chord. And it pretty much sounds like the best thing ever. And the music video for this song is wicked awesome.





1. "Cousin Corona" For their album's release on itunes, they featured this killer bonus track. It's way too good to be a just a bonus track. "I wanna go out on the weekend, I wanna hang out with my best friend". Such a great anthem, especially when it's paired with those super crunchy guitars.

I had trouble with this link, but copy and paste. It's well worth it.
http://blip.fm/listen/Yuck::Cousin+Corona+%28Bonus+Track%29

No comments:

Post a Comment